Right in the city centre and opposite the main building of Tartu University Antonius Hotel was opened in March 2009. The building with dignified history, first mentioned in the 16th-century historical records, was completed in its present structure in 1811. During the subsequent centuries the building has been home to a hat shop, the Livonian Noblemen’s Manor House Credit Association, the famous Guild of Saint Antonius as well as a police office. Since the building is under heritage protection, great care was taken during restoration work to protect and preserve its interior and exterior features as much as possible.

The rooms facing Ülikooli Street overlook the distinguished main building of Tartu University and its famous six columns. From the rooms located in the other wing of the hotel, one can admire the Old Town’s red roofs and a Mediterranean-style courtyard where a restaurant is opened in the summertime. The rooms are furnished with antique furniture which has been carefully matched with modern conveniences: air conditioning, telephone, LCD TV set, mini-bar, in-room safe, luxurious bathroom. Breakfast and dinner is served at the restaurant that is situated in a vaulted cellar room with an atrium and is decorated with rose paintings. On the first floor one finds a stylish library/ fireplace lounge for reading, having a glass of aperitif with friends, or just relaxing in the warmth of open fire.

The oldest preserved objects are the cross vaults in the cellar that date back to the 18th century. In garret rooms, old ceiling joists, stone walls and lots of historical elements worth to be disclosed have been restored. The whole building is characterised by the late 19th-century architecture and fresh, romantic style of design. The rooms are furnished with valuable antique furniture and made complete with modern solutions of bathrooms and bedrooms, resulting in a cosy and homely interior.